The Pastry Chef will be responsible for managing the day to day operations of the Pastry Department as well as supporting the savoury kitchen. Our Culinary philosophy is ingredient driven and utilizes a bounty of seasonal products. Our in-house Pastry Department is proud to produce and prepare such items as daily artisan breads, patisserie, viennoiserie, handmade chocolate, plated desserts, cheese plates, and other seasonal creations while maintaining the highest level of culinary excellence. Some duties may change due to COVID-19 operating regulations/standards.
• Ensure efficient and personalized guest service meeting and exceeding Relais & Chateaux and AAA 4 & 5 Diamond Standards
• Be true to Our Promise, meet and exceed the service philosophies and standards of the Inn
• Participate in and oversee menu planning, production, and presentation of items for The Pointe Restaurant, On The Rocks Bar, Driftwood Café, Special Events, and in-room amenities
• Support savoury kitchen with mise en place that involves baking and pastry techniques
• Supervising team members including scheduling, training, mentoring, and performance evaluation
• Be the liaison between The Pointe Restaurant Leadership Team and Pastry Team
• Ordering and inventory related to the Pastry Department
• Accommodation : Shared accommodation, $300 - $375/month pending on pax/room (2- 3)
• Meal plan : No. Staff accommodation has fully-equipped kitchens (with common living areas)
Candidates staying longer than 4 months will need to move out of staff accommodation. The HR works to find housing in the community and as Tofino is a small town, everyone knows what's happening with available accommodation. There's always a solution.
Although there's no public transport to say, there are taxis and part-time Uber drivers. Lots of co-workers own a vehicle or otherwise everyone usually gets a bike as there's an excellent bike path that connects the Inn to Tofino and the many beaches.
The best way to get from Vancouver to the Wickaninnish is by seaplane. There's a seaplane terminal near Vancouver Int'l airport and another one downtown. Cost is around $500 - $600, but I'll confirm this and look at alternative, ground transportation which usually takes a full day of travel.
CAN$50,000 per year
• Be passionate about their craft, love food, love fresh ingredients
• Team player and proven leadership abilities
• Possess a calm demeanour but have a sense of urgency as required
• Detail orientated, you DO sweat the small stuff
• Must thrive in a multi-tasking, fast paced working environment
• Good communication skills, both verbal and written
• Superb time management and organizational skills
• Ability to work AM shifts
• Creative and innovative yet able to adjust style to suite guest’s specific needs and requests
• Must be familiar with current Culinary and F&B trends, innovations and techniques including but not limited to keeping your education and knowledge base relevant
• Well-rounded skill set with proficiency in the production and decoration of cakes, pastries, desserts, and breads.
• Journeyman/Red Seal Certification an asset
• Minimum 3 years in similar position/level in a fine dining establishment or similar experience
• Be knowledgeable about, and capable to meet and exceed Relais & Chateaux and AAA 4 Diamond standards
• Valid Food Safe Certification
• A mutual understanding of your employment duration will be determined during your interview
• As a term of employment, all employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination is required.